Browse Items (166 total)

APC001_05465.jpg
The central dining hall, Bartol Hall, was completed in 1953. Named after the Corporation member John Washburn Bartol (1906-1952), it opened to students on their return from the holiday break.

A special dinner in January commemorated the opening of…

APC001_05651.jpg
Beatley Library and Lefavour Hall (library extension) opened on October 4, 1961, after six years of planning. The Beatley Library building was planned by the School of Library Science Director, Kenneth Shaffer (1914-2006), who served at Simmons from…

MSP121_009.jpg
In 1909, the College purchased a property on Bellevue Street (later renamed Pilgrim Road), which included a renovated, large frame house, Bellevue House, to serve as an additional dormitory.

A barn next to the house was part of the sale,…

The Boston Cooking School Cook Book_001.jpg
Simmons completed its acquisition of the Boston Cooking School in November 1903. The agreement with the Boston Cooking School gave the College the School's funds, use of their rooms at 372 Boylston Street, and responsibility for contracts with…

APC001_05443.jpg
Simmons leased St. Botolph Hall for five years as the College’s first dormitory, located on Harcourt Street and No. 38 St. Botolph Street. The four-story St. Botolph Hall was renamed Simmons Hall shortly after the start of the lease.

The Dean's…

APC001_08045.jpg
Simmons began using the Nos. 45 and 47 St. Botolph Street houses, located right across from Simmons Hall, as dorms in 1903.

Students who lived on St. Botolph Street frequently complained of the long journey from the Back Bay dorms to the MCB on…

Courses were moved in June 1903 to a leased building at 739 Boylston Street (Boylston Chambers), just above Exeter Street, providing laboratories for elementary chemistry and biology, the library, an assembly hall, a students’ room, and general…

APC001_00642.jpg
The “old brick garage” called Brick House was renovated and furnished for use as a dorm, beginning in the 1925-1926 academic year.

Brick House was popular among students and considered one of the “most attractive” of the Simmons dormitories.…

APC001_00792.jpg
The College began leasing Brookline House in 1910 as a dormitory, providing rooms for 30 students. It was demolished in 1960 to make way for the construction of Mesick Hall.

MSP003_004.jpeg
The College began leasing a house on No. 49 Cypress Street as a dormitory circa 1918. By 1924, the College was leasing an additional four houses on Cypress Street. The Cypress Street houses were closed in 1933, as the number of resident students had…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2