Browse Items (166 total)

APC001_05126.jpg
Dix Hall was completed in 1953 and was designed by the architectural firm the Austin Company. Dix Hall could house 120 students and was named after Dorothea Lynde Dix (1802-1887), a social and medical reform activist, whose will stipulated that her…

MSP004_050.jpg
East House was included as part of the sale when the College purchased a 60,000 sq. ft. parcel of land on Brookline Avenue, Short Street, and Bellevue Street (later renamed Pilgrim Road) for $67,500 in July 1904.

Effective July 1, 1953, the…

APC001_00706.jpg
Construction for Evans Hall began in July 1938. The Hall was named after Maria Antoinette Evans, a widow of the former President of the United States Rubber Company. Despite having no direct ties to Simmons, Mrs. Evans bequeathed the College $100,000…

APC001_00731.jpg
During World War I, the College began leasing houses on Francis Street. In the early years, this house was initially run as a private enterprise by women who were not affiliated with the College. While students ate lunch in the MCB cafeteria,…

From the course catalog, it appears that 52 Harrison Street was the first house used as a dormitory in 1916, followed by 48 Harrison (1921) and 60 Harrison (1922). The College appears to have stopped using the Harrison Street Houses after the…

ug-healthcenter.jpg
The Health Center, a two-story building, was built next to North Hall in 1966. Facilities included a basement with fifteen beds, examination rooms, a laboratory, and a kitchen on the first floor. The cramped health offices in the MCB were converted…

In February 1902, the Corporation began leasing office space in Huntington Chambers, 30 Huntington Ave, located just above Copley Square. The Corporation sold the Simmons Building later that spring to help fund the new Simmons Building Trust.

APC001_00276.jpg
The College began using 240 Kent Street as the first of the houses in 1929, followed by No. 241 (1944) and No. 232 (1947), to help ease the housing shortage.

With the completion of Dix and Morse Halls in 1953, the College sold the majority of its…

APC001_00781.jpg
During the First Endowment Campaign (1920-1924), Simmons purchased Longwood House (1920) on Pilgrim Road, with single, double, and triple rooms. Many rooms were wedged under the eaves, necessitating creative closets and furniture arrangement.…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2