Beatley Library and Lefavour Hall (library extension) opened on October 4, 1961, after six years of planning. The Beatley Library building was planned by the School of Library Science Director, Kenneth Shaffer (1914-2006), who served at Simmons from…
The central dining hall, Bartol Hall, was completed in 1953. Named after the Corporation member John Washburn Bartol (1906-1952), it opened to students on their return from the holiday break.
A special dinner in January commemorated the opening of…
Named in honor of the first Dean of the College, Sarah Louise Arnold (1901-1920), Arnold Hall was completed in the fall of 1951. Nursing students who had not had a chance to live in Evans had first choice of rooms in Arnold Hall.
Arnold Hall residents standing outside Arnold Hall with a banner created for the Simmons Cup. The banner reads: The Quest for Simmons Cup. Three students in the front row are holding shields, each with a letter on it reading 'ARNOLD.'
Appleton House provided rooms for 30 students and had one Matron in charge of the dormitory, along with an Assistant Matron. It was demolished in 1960, along with Brookline House, to make way for Mesick Hall (1961).