Browse Items (166 total)

The Boston Cooking School Cook Book_001.jpg
Simmons completed its acquisition of the Boston Cooking School in November 1903. The agreement with the Boston Cooking School gave the College the School's funds, use of their rooms at 372 Boylston Street, and responsibility for contracts with…

MSP121_009.jpg
In 1909, the College purchased a property on Bellevue Street (later renamed Pilgrim Road), which included a renovated, large frame house, Bellevue House, to serve as an additional dormitory.

A barn next to the house was part of the sale,…

APC001_05651.jpg
Beatley Library and Lefavour Hall (library extension) opened on October 4, 1961, after six years of planning. The Beatley Library building was planned by the School of Library Science Director, Kenneth Shaffer (1914-2006), who served at Simmons from…

APC001_05465.jpg
The central dining hall, Bartol Hall, was completed in 1953. Named after the Corporation member John Washburn Bartol (1906-1952), it opened to students on their return from the holiday break.

A special dinner in January commemorated the opening of…

APC001_00508.jpg
Named in honor of the first Dean of the College, Sarah Louise Arnold (1901-1920), Arnold Hall was completed in the fall of 1951. Nursing students who had not had a chance to live in Evans had first choice of rooms in Arnold Hall.

Arnold Hall…

MSP124_007.jpg
Appleton House provided rooms for 30 students and had one Matron in charge of the dormitory, along with an Assistant Matron. It was demolished in 1960, along with Brookline House, to make way for Mesick Hall (1961).

APC001_00112.jpg
The College completed construction for its first dining hall, the Refectory, in 1905. It was connected to South Hall by a colonnade.

In late 1952, the College decided to remodel the Refectory, as it was no longer needed as a dining hall. Renamed…

APC001_07265.jpg
Arnold Hall residents standing outside Arnold Hall with a banner created for the Simmons Cup. The banner reads: The Quest for Simmons Cup. Three students in the front row are holding shields, each with a letter on it reading 'ARNOLD.'

Front (L-R):…

Beatley-2023.jpg
Beatley Library near the Lefavour Hall entrance. The Service Desk is in the background.

School of Management Building.jpg
Exterior of the Simmons University Academics and School of Management Building, current home to the Simmons School of Social Work.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2