The School of Social Work Library Charities Collection is composed of the donation made by The Boston Children's Aid Society's library to the Simmons College School of Social Work (SSW) in 1911, and the collection of Donald Moreland. The SSW Library Charities Collection contains annual reports, pamphlets, and sermons of private charities, public welfare agencies, and hospitals in Boston, throughout Massachusetts and the eastern United States, and England, from the 1790s to ca. 1950. The SSW maintained this distinct collection in their library. As a result, the SSW Library Charities Collection is important not only for its content, but also as a piece of history reflecting the social work curriculum at SSW during the first half of the twentieth century.
This Collection is of significant research value, providing a unique window into the operations and management of social welfare organizations. In many cases, these materials are not duplicated elsewhere.
The SSW Library Charities Collection is organized by agency. Selected agency collections have been processed and assigned a Charities Collection number (CC); finding aids for these collections are available below.
The majority of collections are unprocessed; while no detailed finding aids are available, these materials are open to researchers. Please consult the complete listing of the unprocessed collections in the Guide to the SSW Library Charities Collection.
- Guide to the American Red Cross, Boston Metropolitan Chapter records, 1919-1939
- Guide to the Baby Hygiene Association (Boston, Mass.) records, 1910-1922
- Guide to the Boston Children's Aid Society records, 1863-1953
- Guide to the Boston Children's Friend Society records, 1837-1954
- Guide to the Boston Co-operative Building Company (Boston, Mass.) records, 1871-1940
- Guide to the Boston Conference on Illegitimacy records, 1912-1932
- Guide to the Boston Council of Social Agencies records, 1921-1949
- Guide to the Boston Dispensary records, 1871-1955
- Guide to the Boston Fatherless and Widows' Society (Boston, Mass.) records, 1842-1957
- Guide to the Boston Society for the Care of Girls Records, 1801-1921
- Guide to the Boston Young Men's Christian Association records, 1873-1955
- Guide to the Boston Young Women's Christian Association records, 1871-1968
- Guide to the City Missionary Society, Boston records, 1841-1991
- Guide to the Family Service of Greater Boston records, 1839-1992
- Guide to the Home and School Visitors Association (Boston, Mass.) records,1908-1942
- Guide to the Home for Aged Men (Boston, Mass.) records, 1874-1918
- Guide to the Home for Aged Women (Goddard House) records, 1873-1972
- Guide to the Howard Benevolent Society (Boston, Mass.) records, 1818-1854
- Guide to the Industrial School for Girls (Dorchester, Boston, Mass.) records, 1873-1934
- Guide to the Martin Luther Orphan's Home records,1887-1919
- Guide to the Massachusetts Society for Mental Hygiene records, 1914-1942
- Guide to the Massachusetts Society for Social Hygiene records, 1932-1957
- Guide to the Medical Missionary Society of Canton, China records, 1838
- Guide to the New England Home for Little Wanderers records, 1865-1993
- Guide to the New York Society for the Suppression of Vice records, 1875-1947
- Guide to the Overseers of the Public Welfare of the City of Boston records1838-1964
- Guide to the Permanent Charity Fund records, 1915-1990
- Guide to the Prison Discipline Society (Boston, Mass.) records, 1826-1854
- Guide to the Roxbury Charitable Society (Boston, Mass.) records, 1794-1919
- Guide to the Scots' Charitable Society (Boston, Mass.) records, 1867-1960
- Guide to the South End Dispensary and Hospital records, 1893 - circa 1924
- Guide to the South End House Association records,1909-1944
- Guide to the The Orchard Home School (Boston, Mass.) records, 1828-1948
- Guide to the Widows' Society (Boston, Mass.) records, 1876-1993
Coming soon. For more information about the College Records Collection, visit the College Records
collection page or contact the College Archives.